Sunday, February 8

A Thrifty Meal

We were pressed for time tonight and needed a super quick meal. So, I thought I'd make use of some of our great buys from Harris Teeter.

We used from our new HT stock:
*1 can Hunt's Fire Roasted Tomatoes ($0.65 after sale/coupons)
*1/2 box Minute brown rice ($0.50 after sale/coupons for whole box)
*1 can Sweet Sue's chicken ($0.74)

We used from existing stock:
*a splash of olive oil
*one clove fresh garlic
*one teaspoon fresh (frozen) basil
*one box Green Giant frozen snap peas (I bought a ton of these types of veggies with coupons when they were on sale...prices ranged from free to $0.50/box.)

I sauteed the garlic in olive oil and added the canned chicken (drained) to brown it a bit. Then I added in the frozen basil, followed by the can of tomatoes (not drained). After letting the mixture come to a boil, I reduced the heat.

Meanwhile, I cooked the Minute rice according to the directions on the box in another pot, and also microwaved the Green Giant veggies.
The entire meal was done in about 15 minutes.

It cost less than $2.50 total, it fed 2 adults and a toddler, there is still 1/2 a box left of uncooked brown rice, and there were enough cooked leftovers for my lunch tomorrow!

No comments: